Designed as an annual art writer’s award, an eminent, rotating jury consisting of art critics and curators is assigned the task of choosing an applicant who has demonstrated sustained commitment to research, conceptual frameworks and art history in their writing practice, as the recipient of the award. Applications are received via open call as opposed to nominations to ensure equal opportunity.
The chosen writer is awarded an international curatorial residency in partnership with our various collaborators around the world in order to help them demonstrate their critical acumen in curatorial research. This is part of PRAF’s emphasis on encouraging research, criticality and innovation within curatorial narratives especially among young/emerging curators.
This year, the recipient will be awarded a one month residency at Chateau La Napoule, the residency space of the La Napoule Art Foundation. Their research and writing during this time will ultimately lead to an exhibition curated by them in New Delhi. Residency costs including flights to France, accommodation, visa expenses and per diem will be covered on behalf of the resident.
We have partnered with French Institute in India to organize the Art Scribes Award.
- Indian citizens under the age of 40 as on 31st May 2021 are eligible for consideration.
- Work experience of at least 2 years in their respective fields.
- The writer can only apply if he/she can attend a 30-day residency at La Napoule Foundation in March 2022.
- The last date for receipt of submissions is 30th September 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered. The organizers shall not be liable for failure or delay in receipt of entries.
The entries should be electronically submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following supporting material must accompany every application:
- a) Self attested photocopy/digital scan of passport.
b) Writer’s bio-data.
c) One color photo of the applicant, 2 x 2 inches or larger.
- A PDF File containing the answers of the application questions and relevant documents is mandatory. This needs to be e-mailed to email@example.com. An acknowledgement of receipt of entry will be sent to the email address of the applicant.
- The Jury will decide the successful application.
- The winner will be informed by e-mail or phone and his/her name shall be published on the website within a week of the announcement.
- There is no participation fee.
- The majority decisions of the Judges, and of the advisory committee on the interpretation of all rules and regulations of the prize, shall be final and legally binding. Reasons will not be given for any such decision and the jury and/or advisory committee will not enter into any correspondence regarding the merits of any decision.
- At any time after an entry is accepted or after the award has been granted to any entry, if a majority of judges determine that the entry did not comply with the conditions of entry or eligibility, the award may be withdrawn from the writer.
- Once the recipient has been declared it is mandatory for him or her to attend the residency for a 30-day period during the selected month.
- Due to any circumstances if the recipient is unable to attend the residency the runner up will be eligible.
- The recipient agrees to contribute to PRAF programming with a curatorial project developed from the exhibition proposal submitted as part of the application; the same will be in the form of a curatorial exhibition in New Delhi, a year after the residency. PRAF will cover exhibition costs amounting to rupees one lakh.
Our partners for Art Scribes Award includes:
Residency Partner: La Napoule Art Foundation
Institutional Partner: French Institute in India
Venue Partner: Shrine Empire
LA NAPOULE ART FOUNDATION
Marie Clews founded La Napoule Art Foundation in 1951 in memory of her husband, a prolific sculptor. It was her dream to create an international center for the arts at the Château that would promote cultural exchange and understanding. For over sixty years, LNAF has hosted performances, residencies and exhibitions at the Château de La Napoule by artists the world over. La Napoule Art Foundation offers time and space for creative minds to engage in cultural interchange and meaningful work that impacts the world of the common good.
FRENCH INSTITUTE IN INDIA
French Institute in India as an institutional partner collaborates with the Art Scribes award by helping the award develop partnerships internationally and advice's the residency program based on the research interests of the recipient of the award.